Re: 'grub-mkimage' gives error 'invalid ELF header'

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: 'grub-mkimage' gives error 'invalid ELF header'
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 10:29:51 -0700

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Tang, Lingda <address@hidden> wrote:
> I used the grub-1.99~rc2.  I tried to use grub-mkimage to get the grub.efi,
> but here comes the error message “invalid ELF header”.  Can anyone give me
> some help?

First, since 1.99 was released more than a year ago, and grub 2.00 is
now soon to be released, it's odd that you're choosing to use a
release candidate of 1.99 and second you shouldn't use grub-mkimage
directly. You should use grub-install to install grub, specifically
with [U]EFI mount your EFI System Partition to /boot/efi/ then run
"grub-install" (with no other arguments) or if you're not booted via
[U]EFI at the time you're running grub-install, or otherwise don't
want to set [U]EFI variables, use "grub-install --removable".

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)