Re: Getting rid of 'recovery' entries when generating grub's menu

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Getting rid of 'recovery' entries when generating grub's menu
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 00:03:03 -0700

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM, Chris Jones <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 12:06:41AM EDT, Jordan Uggla wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Chris Jones <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> > With grub v 1.98 on stock debian squeeze I would like to disable the
>> > generation of 'recovery' entries in grub.cfg.
>
> [..]
>
>> Please post your exact /etc/default/grub and the /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>> which it produces.
>
> Intestingly, this only appears to be a problem with Ubuntu and derivates
> like Mint, not with debian.

More accurately, GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY only affects entries generated
by /etc/grub.d/10_linux . GNU/Linux entries from
/etc/grub.d/30_os-prober depend on output from linux-boot-prober,
which gets its information from many sources, though mostly from
existing bootloader configuration files. In other words, Debian's
entries for Ubuntu include recovery mode entries because Ubuntu's own
grub.cfg includes these entries. If you have
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY=true in /etc/default/grub in Ubuntu, re-run
update-grub/grub-mkconfig in Ubuntu, then re-run
update-grub/grub-mkconfig in Debian, the recovery entries will go
away. I will update the documentation on GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY in the
grub manual to make this more clear.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)