Error when booting to FreeBSD on second disk, only through 40_custom

From: Adarsh Joshi
Subject: Error when booting to FreeBSD on second disk, only through 40_custom
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 21:20:39 -0700

Hi,

I am trying to boot FreeBSD using Grub2 and I get the following error

Booting a command list

Error: out of partition.

Error: out of partition.

Error: only ELF kernel supports module.

Press any key to continue…

This is what I have in my 40_custom file, on my Ubuntu 10.10 server.

        insmod ufs2

        set root='(hd1,msdos1)'

        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 4c0029f407b3cd1d

        kfreebsd /boot/kernel/kernel

        kfreebsd_loadenv /boot/device.hints

        kfreebsd_module /boot/splash.bmp type=splash_image_data

        set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:da1s1a

The interesting thing is that I see (hd1) and (hd1,msdos1) when I do a ls at the command prompt and I am even able to boot FreeBSD if try through the command prompt. I get the error only when I try to boot through 40_custom file.

I also have another version of FreeBSD on hd0 and I am able to boot into it successfully through command prompt as well as 40_custom file.

I strongly feel set root='(hd1,msdos1)' is not enough when pointing to another disk and I am probably missing something here.

Apologize if this has already been asked. I browsed the tutorials and tried a million combinations but in vain.

By the way, the Grun version I am using is 1.98+20100804-5ubuntu3.3

Thanks a lot

regards

Adarsh

This message and any attached documents contain information from QLogic Corporation or its wholly-owned subsidiaries that may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not read, copy, distribute, or use this information. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message.