Question on what sectors grub2 uses?

From: Michael D. Setzer II
Subject: Question on what sectors grub2 uses?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 11:26:15 +1000

I am the current maintainer of the G4L disk imaging project, and
long ago added options to backup the basic mbr being the first
512 bytes of the disk. Later added an option that would backup
the first track (63 sectors) of the disk to include additional code
that was being placed there by some OSs.

In a recent clean install of Fedora 16 I noted that first partition is
starting at 2048 instead of 63 from previous version.

What would be the necessary steps to backup the mbr and grub2
info?

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbrgrub2 bs=512 count=????

Would it be 2048, 2047, or some other number?

I also noticed I had some machines that were upgraded to Fedora
16, and had the grub2 installed, but it only had 63 sectors for the
first partition to start which was XP. The grub2-install --recheck
would report the area is now to small, but it was using the grub2
boot process, so I assume that one time it did fit with an earlier
grub2? With a lot of work, I was able to resize and move various
partitions over and free the space so the first partition started in
2048 and then the grub2-install --recheck ran with no problems
and seems to be fine.

My only big problem has been that I did a preupgrade on another
systems recently to Feora 16, and it went thru fine, but on reboot
it was still using the older grub instead of the grub2, and it was
listing the old kernel that didn't exist any longer. Fortuantely, I had
a kernel from my g4l project that was there, and it allowed me to
boot and I was able to modify the old grub.conf and get it to boot.
It appears that the preupgrade is not able to install the newer
grub2 in the 62/63 sectors that were available? The boot partition
on that machine was 1024M, so I reduced it to 1023M and moved
it over to free up the space. Then I ran the grub2-install, and it ran
with no errors, but I have not actually rebooted the machine to test
it???

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:address@hidden
  mailto:address@hidden
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

address@hidden CREDITS
SETI        11905068.286825   |   EINSTEIN     7462372.579852
ROSETTA      4297236.297156   |   ABC         11575002.495854