Question on using grub2 in an lv and moving pv's between disks and then

From: David Jablonski
Subject: Question on using grub2 in an lv and moving pv's between disks and then pulling original disk
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 10:10:43 -0600

Apologies if this is posted twice, as I posted it yesterday and haven't
seen it the archives.  Thanks...

We are testing using grub2 /boot partition in an lv (along with the root
partition) and we would like to move the lv (pvmove, vgreduce) from
physical drive1 to physical drive2 and then remove drive1.  This is
being tested on a Fedora 16 installation.  After moving the lv's
(pvmove, vgreduce) and removing drive1 grub2 cannot find it's lv to use
to start the boot.

Steps:

All drives created using GPT partitions

1)  Create /dev/sda1 as a 1 MB BIOS Boot Partition.
2)  Create /dev/sda2 as /, /boot, and /swap lv's (/dev/Internal0/Root0,
/dev/Internal0/Boot0, and /dev/Internal0/Swap0)
3)  Install grub2 on /dev/sda
4)  Install 2nd physical drive
5)  Create /dev/sdb1 as a 1MB BIOS Boot Partition
6)  dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 bs=512
7)  Create /dev/sdb2 as Linux LVM
8)  pvcreate /dev/sdb2
9)  vgextend Internal0 /dev/sdb2
10)  pvmove /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2
11)  vgreduce /dev/sda2
12)  Copy mbr dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=440 count=1
13)  Pull out physical drive1
14)  Try to boot from physical drive2

Grub error that it cannot find the lv to use to boot from.  We are
trying this so that we can have a spare drive in the system to move the
lv including /boot from drive1 to drive2 for hd upgrades and system
failure without having to work around the limitations of RAID1.  I'm not
sure how the UUID of the boot lv gets created in grub2 and how can we
update that for the new drive or what is happening.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.  Thank you.

--
David W. Jablonski
Systems Administrator

*** DELIVERING UPTIME ***