Re: REWRITE of " Recovering from _misinstall_ of GRUB 1.98"

From: Richard Owlett
Subject: Re: REWRITE of " Recovering from _misinstall_ of GRUB 1.98"
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:02:17 -0600

Jordan Uggla wrote:
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Richard Owlett<address@hidden>  wrote:
I've received "on list" and "off list" replies which demonstrate that where
I did not confuse the reader I inspired them to answer questions I wasn't
asking. So I'll do a complete rewrite using high school journalism questions
of 50+ years ago.

Who  - a Linux newbie
What - two computers - WinXP Pro installed, BIOS allows booting from USB
device
       a Lenovo (IBM) ThinkCentre whose only internet connection is dialup
       a Lenovo (IBM) ThinkPad with dialup and WiFi connectivity
       "live cd" of Ubuntu 10.10 (includes GNU GRUB version 1.98)
       a blank USB stick
Goal - Linux on a bootable USB stick such that I could seamlessly switch
between
       machines depending on which was more convenient without context loss.
*RESTRICTION* - _NOTHING_ written to hard drive (no dual boot)!

Attempted installation by following menu prompts. I was allowed to install
to a removable device and specify that all of the space on that device was
to be used. My assumption (which proved false) was if an OS was to placed on
a removable device, it would be bootable.

Symptoms:
1. on system boot a menu is presented offering choice of OS.
   *FAILURE* project specification was "no dual boot"!

You want to set GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true in /etc/default/grub

I can see how putting that on a system residing on a bootable removable device would prevent future problems. I do not see how that gets me out of the current problem (recall the the problem specification is that only the original Windows install shall be on the internal hard drive).

2. when forced to dual boot was not given option of specifying default OS.
3. when USB stick not inserted boot fails although BIOS is told to boot from
   internal hard drive - expectation of booting Windows. Grub crashes to
"rescue mode".
4. when USB stick is inserted in second machine and BIOS instructed to boot
   from external device - it doesn't.

Diagnosis:
1. Grub installed to hard drive where it *does NOT belong*.

This is a bug in Ubuntu's installer which has been fixed in subsequent releases.

That explains one cryptic response on a Ubuntu list saying I missed an option on the install menu. Which version has the fix. As I'll probably go for one of the Ubuntu derivatives, what question should I ask to discover if chosen derivative has the fix?

2. Grub *NOT* installed to USB stick where it is needed.

Original requests:
How to remove grub from hard drive and repair MBR if required?

From Ubuntu, "sudo apt-get install mbr&&  sudo install-mbr /dev/sdX"
where sdX is the drive (*not* partition) containing Windows. This is
most likely /dev/sda, but be sure.

Is that one line or two?
IOW is the double ampersand a continuation "character"?

How to get grub unto USB stick?

Boot Ubuntu normally and run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc". This
command will ask you questions about configuring the grub-pc package.
The first two questions will be about the linux cmdline, simply keep
those at their defaults and press enter to continue (one will probably
be blank, this is fine). When you get to the install devices question,
use space bar (not enter) to check / uncheck drives. Make sure that
only the USB drive is checked (*not* any partitions) then hit enter to
continue.

Thank you. Part of reason for moving to Linux is education.