Re: How to suppress the error message "no such device" during execution

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: How to suppress the error message "no such device" during execution of a configuration file
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 16:49:57 -0800

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Arbiel Perlacremaz
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wrote a configuration file which looks for a particular device where a
> given partition has been defined
>
> search --label --no-floppy set=root label
>
> When root is not set after this command, the configuration file loops on a
> read command, until the entry is empty or the partition is found.
>
> So, I would be glad to suppress the "no such device" message
>
> How can this be done ?

There is an ugly hack that can be used to do this, but it seems like a
--quiet option would be reasonable to have for this (and other)
commands, so please file a bug report (aka feature request) for this.

> Thank you for any piece of advice
>
> Arbiel

It's hard to tell exactly what you're doing from your limited
description, but you might be making life harder on yourself than it
needs to be. I'm curious to see your grub.cfg so far, and I may be
able to give you advice on how better to accomplish your goal.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)