Re: Partition for Grub2

From: Goh Lip
Subject: Re: Partition for Grub2
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 11:28:09 +0800

On 02/11/2012 05:08 PM, Bodewig wrote:
Hi everyone,

I want to do the following:
establish a partition for grub2 separate from the various os's in use.
Perhaps this has been answered and then my apologies and please a link.

Q: Does Grub2 contain the MBR?
Q: Can that first partition with Grub2 start at 0 or do I need to leave
room for MBR?
Q: Can I just unpack and make in that partition?
Q: Would 1GB be enough or should I use 4?
Q: Is there a GUI for Grub2 that I could install in that 1st partition -
something like easybcd?

Much appreciated

This link (first 3 posts) may provide some answers...

http://ubuntu.5.n6.nabble.com/Making-a-first-grub-partition-td1672054.html

Note though some commands need to be 'updated' in v 1.99 eg, from --root-directory to --boot-directory, from --set to --set=root etc

To answer specifically your questions above,
o this first grub partition can be in any partition
o mbr is at the first sector of the disk, not the partition
No need to leave room for it, don't worry about it (unless it's UEFI and GPT partitioned) o You can unpack in an OS partition but not in that 'first grub' partition as it does not have an OS o the 'first grub' does not contain any kernel, hence it is just about 1.2 MB (yes, 'M', not 'G'). I allocate a whooping 100 MB for it. Format as ext2 then.
o GUI?, no, I think.

Good luck - Goh Lip