Load a flat-form binary file into memory

From: Erik Helin
Subject: Load a flat-form binary file into memory
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 12:20:13 +0100

Hi,

I'm just getting into OS development, and I'm using GRUB2 as the bootloader.
First of all, let me thank all of you who develop GRUB, it makes
getting into OS development so much easier!

I was wondering if it's possible for GRUB2 to load a file located on
the bootable ISO into memory?
It would be even better if GRUB2 supported this file to be flat-form
binary (or if GRUB2 doesn't care at all what the file looks like).

I've tried the insmod instruction, because when using GRUB legacy, the
module command could be used to load files into memory and then
accessing them via the multiboot structure located in the EBX
register, but that didn't work. GRUB2 complained that the file had to
be in ELF format.

Is there any other command available that is similar to the old module command?

Thanks!
Erik