Re: about extracting grub2 files from mbr

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: about extracting grub2 files from mbr
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 00:33:22 -0800

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 4:34 AM, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I don't know if I'm asking in the right ML, but I hope so :) I'd like to know
> if there's a way
> to extract what's in the mbr knowing that there is grub2 installed on it.
> Let me explain this in a bettter way: we have adopted in our company a
> Symantec software called
> PGP Desktop to manage disk encryption, which installs a modified grub2 boot
> loader to let
> authorized users to boot the OS. I'm not familiar with bootloaders and how
> they are installed so...
> first thing I wanted to be sure is if the mbr is encrypted (I really doubt it)
> and if there's a way to extract
> everything it is inside to see if it stores the PGP key somewhere in it. Yeah
> I know my question
> seems like "hey, help me hack this one" but I'm just concerned about my
> computers security,
> and since its bootloader is based on grub2 maybe you can/want help me, if not
> no problem.

Since the bootloader is based on grub2, and grub2 is licensed under
the GPL (v3) Symantec is required by law to make any of their
modifications or additions to grub available to you. The best way to
determine what they do is to look at their source code. If you don't
understand their source code then post it somewhere public (or provide
a link to it here if it's already publicly available) so that others
more familiar with C / grub can tell you what it does. If they refuse
to make the source code available to you then please see
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html . There is no legal way
for them to make a grub module, or modify any existing grub code,
without that module and those modifications also being covered by the
GPL.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)