Re: about extracting grub2 files from mbr

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: about extracting grub2 files from mbr
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 01:10:45 -0500

I tried looking on Wikipedia and searched Symantec to find out what PGP Desktop is exactly, and only found marketing or other non-information. Do you know what it is?

In Linux, you can read everything on your disk with a command something like
# dd if=/dev/sda | hexdump -C | less
but that won't tell you much, because a PGP key would look like random bytes to you.

What you really need is documentation to *tell* you what form the encryption keys are stored or derived in. And once you have that, you shouldn't need to read your disk at all if you don't want to.

(
random thoughts:

Does it require you to enter a password? The key might be encrypted with that password. The key might be derived from that password.

Is it using an already widely used disk encryption format such as LUKS or TrueCrypt?
)

You are quite right that software-only encryption on PCs can't encrypt all 440ish bytes of the MBR, unless the system boots some other way than from its main disk.

But again, you are trying to understand it, so you should read the software's documentation. If it doesn't have documentation, be afraid and assume they did everything wrong (or am I too cynical there?).

If you want a more thorough understanding, you'll also want to find some thorough documentation about the boot process at least from firmware+motherboard through OS kernel initialization.

-Isaac