Re: Load speed test?

From: David Balažic
Subject: Re: Load speed test?
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 21:58:39 +0100

 I am debugging some slow loading from an USB key and don't know where to start.

 I am loading RIPLinux 13.5 from a USB key of 16GB, that has a loading
 speed of almost 30 MB/s in a loaded OS (Linux or Windows).

 The booting takes minutes, while on other (slower) USB keys (using
 grub legacy) it is less than 30 seconds.

I replaced the boot loader with GRUB4DOS 0.4.4 and it is much faster loading
the same
files (riplinux 13.5).

It is a factor 5-6 difference. I tested on multiple PCs.
Any idea why grub2 is so slow in loading?

Regards,
David