Re: Building only util

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Building only util
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 11:01:57 -0800

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:13 AM, Darren Hart <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is there a way to build only the util directory?
>
> There is a long story behind why I think this might be a good idea. It
> has to do with packaging and cross compilation environments. I need to
> build grub-mkimage for my build arch in order to assemble final efi
> images, like bootia32.efi, but I also want to build everything for the
> target arch for deployment.
>
> "make util/grub-mkimage" made a rather feeble attempt, but failed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Darren Hart
> Intel Open Source Technology Center
> Yocto Project - Linux Kernel

It sounds like you're trying to build the utilities for a different
architecture (the "host" architecture) than the "target" architecture.
Grub is designed to handle this without any manual workarounds like
you seem to be trying to do. You didn't specify your host and target
architecture but if you wanted to build utilities for a PowerPC host
to install grub to be booted from an x86 PC, you would build grub by
running ./configure like this (thanks to phcoder for this example):
./configure CC=powerpc-linux-gcc  --host=ppc-linux-gnu --target=i386
--with-platform=pc TARGET_CC=i386-linux-gcc

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)