Multiboot Modules and the GPL

From: Shea Levy
Subject: Multiboot Modules and the GPL
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 11:03:17 -0400

Hello,

I am working on developing a multiboot-compliant module for communication with a proprietary device. The module will be distributed in binary form as a part of a custom system. I have a few questions relating to this:

1. If the module is included in the grub core image, need it be
   licensed under the GPL?
2. If the module is loaded at boot time, need it be licensed under the
   GPL? Also, not GPL related, but is it possible for grub to load a
   module from a VBR rather than a partitioned drive?

Thanks,
Shea Levy