in grub.cfg: how to initialze a variable from the contents of a file

From: Dr. Zimmermann
Subject: in grub.cfg: how to initialze a variable from the contents of a file
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:44:35 +0200

Hi,

a general question concerning variable initialization in grub.cfg:

As the subject says I'd like to initialize a variable in grub.cfg (dynamically during runtime) from the contents of a file.

In a shell, I'd simply do something like:

        myvar=`cat myfile`;

As far as I'm aware there aren't any exec quotes `` in the grub shell. Instead, at least the search command has a '--set' option to pass the return-string to a variable.

I haven't found such a mechanism for the 'cat' command. Also, setting the variable via redirection and file inclusion seems not possible.

Are there any way to solve the problem?

--
Pflichtangaben gemäß Gesetz über elektronische Handelsregister und
Genossenschaftsregister sowie das Unternehmensregister (EHUG):

Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf; Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts;
Gerichtsstand: Hamburg

Vorstandsmitglieder: Prof. Dr. Jörg F. Debatin (Vorsitzender), Dr. Alexander Kirstein, Joachim Prölß, Prof. Dr. Dr. Uwe Koch-Gromus