How does grub locate grub.cfg

From: Roger James
Subject: How does grub locate grub.cfg
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 16:30:02 +0100

Help!

What is the algorithm (if any) used by grub2 to locate the grub.cfg file? Are there any hints encoded into the image files by grub-mkimage and grub-setup, for example the --prefix parameter to grub-mkimage and the -root-device parameter passed to grub-setup. I am interesting in finding information on this before embarking on an installation which may end up with two different /boot/grub/grub.cfg files in different paritions on different drives!

I have not be able to find this information in any documentation, and one quick look at the source tree led me to ask here first!

As an aside, is there such a thing as a grub image analyser that can take a grub boot installation/image and print out what it contains?

Thanks,

Roger