Re: black screen / blinking cursor after grub-install

From: Felix Miata
Subject: Re: black screen / blinking cursor after grub-install
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 19:19:08 -0400

On 2011/08/11 16:35 (GMT-0600) J.V. composed:

How do I tell which version of grub CentOS 6 ships with?

With a non-booting system, http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=centos is one way, but you could also go to the CentOS mirrors and find out by looking at the version number embedded in its RPM package.

Also is it possible some how to use/install the latest version and get
that going with CentOS?  I do need specific documentation on how to do
this if it is available.

I doubt there are any non-Grub devs who could manage this except on a normally running system. Grub 2 documentation is about as bad as bad gets. OTOH, the trouble you are likely having is one of the problems Grub 2 was designed to avoid (mixing up of HD order/disagreement on device order between boot loader and kernel).

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/