Re: black screen / blinking cursor after grub-install

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: black screen / blinking cursor after grub-install
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 20:33:09 -0700

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 1:13 PM, J.V. <address@hidden> wrote:
> Just to follow up on the previous post.
>
> I have a black screen with a single blinking cursor after running:
>    #grub-install /dev/sda1

Never install grub's boot sector to a partition, install it to the mbr
instead (/dev/sda).

> is there a way to reboot instead of hard power? I feel like it might be
> possible to damage something by doing a hard power.

At this point your computer probably hasn't even loaded any GRUB code.
Ctrl+alt+delete might cause the machine to reboot and you probably
won't damage anything by doing a hard reset.

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)