grub hell

From: J.V.
Subject: grub hell
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 22:53:33 -0600

I installed CentOS 5 and after rebooting the first time, it simply booted up no problems.

after the next reboot, I was given a grub menu with 5 options (which one should i choose?) - I did not install or configure grub.

The next time I booted, I get a black screen that says

GRUB

that's it. it is not a grub prompt, no keyboard keys or mouse work, there is nothing I can do. It is stuck.

what went wrong? and how do i fix it?

J.V.