Re: Long lag time to boot to usb devices

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: Long lag time to boot to usb devices
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:09:47 -0700

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 1:04 AM, Goh Lip <address@hidden> wrote:
> This is not a 'show stopper', just that it been a while and neither grub
> 1.98 nor grub 1.99 has resolved it.
>
> When booting up OS in usb external drives, either flash or disk, there is a
> 35 secs delay before anything kicks in.
>
> So I wonder if there has been any schedule of action to resolve it.
>
> Thanks - Goh Lip

By default grub uses BIOS interfaces to access all drives (though
native USB and other drivers are available) and BIOS interfaces don't
differentiate between internal vs external, SATA vs IDE vs USB etc. So
any difference in working with these devices is almost certainly an
aspect of your particular BIOS rather than an aspect of grub. That
said, as grub does have native USB drivers there may be ways to work
around BIOS issues, though it sounds like that would at least require
that grub itself be loaded from an internal drive. Can you be more
clear about what you mean by "before anything kicks in"? What do you
see when you try to boot from a USB drive? What do you see when you
try to boot from an internal drive? What do you see when you try to
boot grub from an internal drive then list all drives (including
external ones) using "ls -l" at the grub shell? What do you see when
you do the same but loading grub from a USB drive? Video might be
helpful if possible. Are there any updates available for your BIOS?

--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)