Re: grub work on a logical partition

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: grub work on a logical partition
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 15:28:05 +0530

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Oliver Rath <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Rustom!
>
> Am 22.04.2011 10:22, schrieb Rustom Mody:
>> Does grub work if it points to a logical partition?
>
> There should be no problem doing this.
>

>> In my earlier post
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-grub/2011-04/msg00033.html
>>  I replicated a disk in which the original /boot was moved from
>> primary to logical -- so asking
>
> For grub it doesnt matter which kind of partition you are using. But
> importantly you need to refresh the master boot record of the new disk
> with the appropriate grub boot entry, if you want to use it standalone
> in a new computer.

Well I am not sure but Ive tried:
1. dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc (running from the new disk)
2. grub-install /dev/sda
3. and now setting the boot flag

Is there some easy way of debugging the MBR?

Nevertheless the disk remains in state: "No bootable device..."
The strange part is that the installs above claim to go through without problem!

> Nevertheless you need to adjust the grub menu boot entries to the new
> partition schema.

As said above, not reaching that far...

> Hth

Unfortunately not yet -- but thanks for trying :-)

Rusi