Re: Boot from an ISO-File?

From: Patrick Strasser
Subject: Re: Boot from an ISO-File?
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 00:12:43 +0200

schrieb Goh Lip on 03/31/11 21:14:
> On Friday 01,April,2011 02:46 AM, Patrick Strasser wrote:
>> schrieb Goh Lip am 2011-03-31 20:30:
>>
>>> With grub2, don't need chainload or syslinux. Boot directly using
>>> loopback. With usb, it is also not an issue as long as uuid is
>>> specified.
>>
>> You just open the image with the loopback command and that's it (or
>> "boot" when interactive)?
>>
>> Patrick
>
> Do not really understand your question, (don't need penlinux, maybe
> hence your question, just boot using grub2) but here's my menuentry in
> grub2, should be self-explanatory.
>
> menuentry "Iso - natty-b1" {
> search --set -f /iso/kubuntu-11.04-beta1-desktop-amd64.iso
> loopback loop /iso/kubuntu-11.04-beta1-desktop-amd64.iso
> linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper
> iso-scan/filename=/iso/kubuntu-11.04-beta1-desktop-amd64.iso noeject
> noprompt
> initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
> }

That's the method I know of. But it has the drawback that I have to
investigate what syslinux does and mimick that. I do not get the
syslinux menu, help screens and boot options.

I'd rather like to boot the iso image with the included boot loader, be
it syslinux or GRUB. That's why I was very surprised when you wrote "
With grub2, don't need chainload or syslinux. Boot directly using loopback."

Anyway, do I have a chance to start the isolinux boot process, or GRUB
on the iso image?

Patrick
Patrick Strasser <patrick dot strasser at  tugraz dot at>