Re: Full documentation for GRUB2

From: kgrbf
Subject: Re: Full documentation for GRUB2
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:55:27 -0400

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:58:32 -0600
Chris Murphy <address@hidden> wrote:

I agree, but from this outsider's perspective, it's abundantly clear the
developers have totally abdicated on this. And the consequences are
unsurprising. Users are complaining, even though they should not have to really
interact with GRUB if it is working correctly. But more importantly it has
totally fractured support among distributions. Those developers looked at GRUB
and found the documentation to be so hideous, and the changes so non-obvious
and non-trivial that many (maybe most) have decided not to implement. It is not
due to laziness that Red Hat continues to hack GRUB Legacy, even for EFI
support.

The devs are probably nose on grinder punching code with no time for niceties
and I can understand that. Moreover they are the last people qualified for
manual writing; most of them are typically illustrious communications nulls.
Nothing personal but what is needed is for them to adopt at least one or more
WRITERS whom they will painstakingly tutor to the intimate level of familiarity
that's required to be able to write a half-descent manual.