Re: How to restore my disk

From: Jordan Uggla
Subject: Re: How to restore my disk
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 02:32:09 -0700

2010/10/2 Dennis Cao <address@hidden>:
> Yesterday, I used this command to correct my MBR on my working computer,
>    $ dd if=/somefile of=/dev/sda  bs=512 count=1
> But very unfortunately, I used a wrong file. Now when I boot my
> working computer, it says:
>   Non-system disk or disk error
>   replace and strike any key when ready
>
> I think the partition table is destroyed. How can I restore my disk?

The partition table can likely be recovered using this guide:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step (you can ignore
the "rewriting the corrupted NTFS boot sector" parts ).

Then you can re-install grub2 following this guide:
http://grub.enbug.org/Grub2LiveCdInstallGuide .
--
Jordan Uggla (Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net)