Re: What does grub-install do?

From: Goh Lip
Subject: Re: What does grub-install do?
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 23:51:16 +0800

On Friday 01,October,2010 11:06 PM, Dennis Cao wrote:
> hi, �橇�
> Thanks a lot for your help :)
>
> You are right, my usb disk is (hd0,1) if  I choose boot from USB Hard
> Disk in BIOS.  If I choose to boot from hard disk, the usb disk is
> (hd1,1). The grub.cfg in usb disk has:
>     set root=(hd0,1)
>     search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 119b5aaf-7d23-45d7-bcb8-b6b94a5eb238
> May I ask what env variable root is used for by grub?
>
> I tried these commands in grub command line after booting from usb disk:
>      grub>echo $root
>      hd1,8
>      grub>set root=(hd0,1)
>      grub>ls /
>      boot, grub, ...
>
>   It shows that after executing command 'set root=(hd0,1)', root
> directory '/' is set to disk (hd0,1).  But in this disk, I just create
> a folder 'boot', why a folder named 'grub' is created here?
>
> As for the grub-mkrescue command, the syntax may be in Grub 1.97beta:
>     grub-mkrescue grub-rescue.iso    :)
>

> NOTE:
> commands used to install grub to usb disk:
>           $ sudo grub-install /dev/sdb1
>          $ mount /dev/sdb1 /media/usb01
>       $ cd /media/usb01
>       $ mkdir -p ./boot/grub
>       $ cp -dpR /boot/grub/* ./boot/grub
>           (edit /media/usb01/boot/grub/grub.cfg as mentioned above)
>

> -----
> Cao, Guilin

Cao,  你好, command "grub-mkrescue grub-rescue.iso" is for older
versions of grub2; what OS and version are you using? A slightly newer
version uses "--overlay" and the newest version requires you to add
"--output". But nevermind, if it works, so be it.  :)

Why the need for the folder 'grub' in 'boot'? - I guess that's how the
OS boot was created and when we "grub-install --root-directory", it
copies it there.

The commands you used was about how I created an old grub-legacy
dedicated partition and I would think it will work too with grub2. But I
personally think with the easier shortcuts now available for grub2, it
will not be necessary. But, again, if it works and you are comfortable
with it, so be it.

Good luck, Cao and best wishes. - Goh Lip

--
Nice place, Guilin; my wife visited there about 5 times.
Me? I've never been to China.  :(