Re: booting from a raid1

From: lee
Subject: Re: booting from a raid1
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 14:50:08 +0200

On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 12:22:28PM +0200, Emil Micek wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2010, lee wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm trying to figure out how to boot from a RAID1 created with mdadm
> >on Debian testing amd64.
> >
> >md0 : active raid1 sdd1[0] sdf1[1]
> >     488384400 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
> >

> As far as i know grub2 can't boot from raid arrays with version 1.2
> metadata superblock. At least your /boot partition must reside on
> RAID with version 0.9 superblock.

Ok, I'll have to make a boot partition on another device then until
grub supports current superblock formats. I don't want to recreate the
raid1 again.

Can I use a removable media like a CD or an USB stick for a boot
partition or to boot from and remove it once booting has completed?
The mainboard has only 6 SATA ports to which 5 disks and a DVD drive
are connected ...

Whatever I use, how do I create the bootable media or the boot
partition I need? Isn't there a tool that I can simply tell what my
root partition is going to be and it just installs grub (or whatever
else works) on an USB device or a CD or a disk so that things just
work?