Re: query regarding grub

From: Kevin Hunter
Subject: Re: query regarding grub
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 22:21:12 -0500

At 1:11pm -0500 Sun, 08 Aug 2010, Tanmay Nath wrote:
I am new to linux.I had installed ubuntu on my laptop.It was
working good.I made an upgradation.but since then it is not
booting and every time it show an error message with
  grub rescue>

Welcome to a /different/ computing world, new Linux user! Free and Open Source software is an excellent tool set to learn. However, it is not without its hiccups. This, it would seem, is one of them.

I need to boot my system so that it can work properly.Kindly
provide me steps so that i can boot my laptop.

One of the things you will find is that the FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) community is rife with knowledgeable and helpful people, but knowing where to find them when you need their help can be a bit of a bother. This is an issue for the end-user who doesn't interact much and just wants their problem fixed, but I don't see it going away anytime soon.

Your question to this list is a good case-in-point. Given the "grub rescue>" prompt you currently see, this list may seem like an appropriate avenue for your question. However, this list is more oriented toward developers than end-users. The kind of help this list tends to give may be a bit too advanced for you.

Some /perhaps/ better places to query for help with your problem:

- Google

- Ubuntu Users list:

- Google

- Other Ubuntu lists:
  https://lists.ubuntu.com/

- Ubuntu Forums:
  http://ubuntuforums.org/

- Have I said Google?  Google

You also may be able to get some real-time help if you can navigate to the #ubuntu channel on irc.freenode.org.

Finally, though the problem did not originate after you installed Windows, this page may be of some use:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

Regards,

Kevin