Can I have the grub.conf(menu.lst) on a NTFS partition?

From: PEnright
Subject: Can I have the grub.conf(menu.lst) on a NTFS partition?
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 19:18:14 -0500

Right now I am using Grub-legacy. So I not sure how to phrase the question from a Grub2 perspective, but here we go.
Can I have the grub.conf(menu.lst) on a NTFS partition? I don’t think I can in Grub-legacy, but can I in Gurb2?

More information if your question is why? :-)
I use Linux in a dual boot environment, where the primary operating system is windows. I boot into Linux so I can backup the window’s partition to a second hard drive. While in Linux I, mount both windows partition and use rsync to mirror up the backup partition to the main one.  The grub.conf is on the window’s partition so it can be manipulated from windows.
So the backup goes like this...
Window’s change the grub.conf default boot from window to linux and then boot. Linux rc.d mounts both window’s partition and rsync them. Then Linux changes the grub.conf default boot back to windows and reboots. And it is done. Right now my windows is fat32 but I need to switch to NTFS, hence the need for grub.conf on a NTFS partition.

I have thought of using a third partition that is fat32 just for the grub.conf, but this seems little on kludged side. Just looking for ideas.

TIA,
Paul