GRUB2 hangs on "GRUB Loading."

From: Kim Eik
Subject: GRUB2 hangs on "GRUB Loading."
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:49:27 +0200

I have been running a server for about half a year. And i have restarted the machine countless times w/o any problems. However two days ago, grub stopped working.

The machine is running ubuntu server 9.10, i have two physical disks mirrored with sw raid and several lvm partitions on top. The machine is also running ACHI.

I have booted the system using a usb pendrive with ubuntu-alternate, and reinstalled grub from a chrooted environment. But sadly to no effect.

I have also tried installing grub to the mbr of both disks and booting from each of them. Also without any effect.

I do however have a hunch that the fault may lie in a dist-upgrade from somewhere between my previous successfull boot and now. So i am gonna try to see if i can rollback some installed software and see if this fixes grub.

Is there anything you guuys can suggest that i do? I am not very familiar with the inner workings of grub2 so any help is appreciated.

Thanks
-Kim