Re: grub2 can't see my linux kernel file

From: j t
Subject: Re: grub2 can't see my linux kernel file
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 18:28:31 +0000

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Jordan Uggla <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:42 PM, j t <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Do you know if there is any way to debug the problem with the ata module?
>
> There are two important things to know about the ata module:
>
> 1: When using the ata module grub devices are named (ata#,#) instead
> of (hd#,#) and the drive numbers may not match between the ata and
> BIOS device names ( though they will match most of the time ).
>
> 2: The ata module will not work with chainloading.
>
> Are you still not able to see your kernel using ls / tab completion
> when using ata.mod? Can you try using the grub.cfg created by
> grub-mkconfig? grub-mkconfig will use UUIDs instead of hard coded
> devices, and if you have os-prober installed should add menu entries
> to boot your other OSs directly, instead of using chainloading, which
> should eliminate both of the mentioned problems with ata.mod.
>
> --
> Jordan Uggla ( Jordan_U on irc.freenode.net )

Hi Jordan.

Re point 1, that's fine and it's not a problem. I can tab complete all
the way to:

linux (ata0,6)/boot

Re point 2, that's fine too and it's not a problem. I'm not trying to
chainload. The entry in my grub.cfg which I'm having problems with is:

menuentry "NewDebian (hda6 16GB) direct" {
 linux (hd0,6)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-686 root=/dev/hda6 ro
 initrd (hd0,6)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-686
}

Using the ata module, I can tab complete all the way to:

linux (ata0,6)/boot

In this folder is my vmlinuz file, but tab completion can not see it.
The fact that I can tab complete the partition number and the boot
directory makes me think that having UUIDs is not really the correct
solution (I don't think that UUIDs are necessary for this to work
properly).

Thank you for your help. I'm now going to try to work out what's the
best way to report this as a bug (I assume that not many grub
developers read this mailing list, so perhaps this isn't the best
place for me to be having this discussion).

Jaime