Re: Booting a new 64-bit OS with grub 0.97

From: Michael Evans
Subject: Re: Booting a new 64-bit OS with grub 0.97
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 22:15:30 -0700

x86_64 Linux is loaded by grub on many computers every day.  -However- I believe virtually every last one of those systems starts out in the 32 bit compatibility mode.  I then believe something in the initial stages of the kernel switches the cpu from 32 bit to 64 bit mode.  In fact, it's probably literally starting out in the digitally stone-age x86 'real mode'.

Grub also chainloads other bootloaders like the ntloader (by reference of the partition it lives in).  If your kernel can run on your native platform without a bootloader installed, and grub can also run on that same platform, it's probably possible to chainload it in failing anything else.