Re: API Calls in C++

From: Lars Uffmann
Subject: Re: API Calls in C++
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:28:58 +0200

X-Posted to gnu.g++.help, F'Up set also

Mike Wahler wrote:
Usually an API (aka 'library') is provided with headers to include
in your source, along with a library file containing compiled code
that you link with your executable.

Well - the headers are there, the library file is a *.lib, apparently compiled in Visual C++. Are such library-files compiler-independant formatted?

Somewhere there needs to be a file (either source or compiled)
that contains the implementation of the function 'UplinkUserCommand()'.

Yes of course - I was expecting that this was the dll-files in %WINDIR%\system32 - however I have no idea how to tell the linker to look for the function in a dll (Only now occured to me, because I have used dlls before, but those abode by a name schema so that I could use -lxerces for example). Guess I will have to ask in a gnu newsgroup?

This is usually a file called an 'object file' or 'library file'
(compiled code).  Include it in the list of files submitted to your
linker.  If the source is provided, then of course it must first be
compiled as well.

I have the *.lib from Visual C++ (I suppose thats VC++'s *incompatible* equivalent of gnu's .a object files?) and the *.dll files. Can I use the dll-files for linking? From what I know it should be possible... Now if I only knew how to tell that to my linker...

Best Regards & Thanks for the answers so far,

   Lars