Re: Bison, G++, and M4

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: Bison, G++, and M4
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 16:41:14 -0700

pendell@hotmail.com writes:

> Hullo. I was re-directed here from comp.lang.c++

This is probably not the right place either, but I'll try to help.

> I think what is *supposed* to happen is that somehow, somewhere, the
> m4 processor is  supposed to run,
> replacing these macros with standard code, which is then properly
> compiled.  I already know it is  not being called by g++.  Where,
> then?

g++ does not, never did, and never will, call m4.
And bison doesn't really have anything to do with the problem either.

The *author* of your program most likely screwed up, and instead
of packaging source code after preprocessing it with m4, he packaged
it with m4 macros still un-expanded.

Alternatively, the Makefile that came with the source is broken,
and doesn't run m4 before compiling the source, even though it was
supposed to.

> For some reason m4 is not replacing the macro calls.

Likely because m4 is not being invoked.

> Suggestions?

Either contact the author of your package for advice, or figure
out the Makefile and fix it, or run m4 by hand to generate compilable
source.

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.