Re: HelloWorld.c CRASHES when moved from FC6 to FC3!!

From: Robert Heller
Subject: Re: HelloWorld.c CRASHES when moved from FC6 to FC3!!
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 23:42:06 +0100

At Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:32:49 -0600 troubled_gcc_user@aol.com wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 22:14:20 +0100, Robert Heller <heller@deepsoft.com> wrote:
> > At Thu, 08 Feb 2007 14:55:00 -0600 troubled_gcc_user@aol.com wrote:

> >> Correct.

> >> I am sure that it will work fine -- but our build boxes ARE FC6 and
> >> out production boxes ARE FC3.
> >>
> >> I need to find a solution to building downward compatible apps under
> >> FC6 that would run on FC3.
> >>
> >> I really need your help here.
> >
> > I guess you need a 'compat' build chain & library set on your FC6 boxes.
>
> Robert, would you say that I need these two packages? Makes sense?
>
> compat-gcc-34.i386                       3.4.6-4                core
>
> Matched from:
> compat-gcc-34
> Compatibility GNU Compiler Collection
> This package includes a GCC 3.4.6-RH compatibility compiler.
>
> compat-gcc-34-c++.i386                   3.4.6-4                core
>
> Matched from:
> compat-gcc-34-c++
> C++ support for compatibility compiler
> This package includes a GCC 3.4.6-RH compatibility C++ compiler.

These would be the RHEL 4.x compatibility packages.  They might do what
you need though, by giving you an even older build chain then is normal
for either FC3 or FC6.  Generally, code built with an older build
chain, so long as it it not too old, will result in executables that
will run on a various newer systems.  I don't know if you will also
need compat-lib??? libraries installed on your systems as well, I would
guess at least a compat-libstdc++3.4.6-<mumble> and a
compat-libgcc-3.4.6-<mumble> would also be needed (with the -devel's on
your build box) -- my CentOS 4.4 system has
libgcc-3.4.6-3/libgcc-devel-3.4.6-3, and
libstdc++-3.4.6-3/libstdc++-devel-3.4.6-3 installed, along with
gcc-3.4.6-3 and gcc-c++-3.4.6-3.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration