Re: Link to static library from DSO without exporting symbols?

From: Andre Poenitz
Subject: Re: Link to static library from DSO without exporting symbols?
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 10:59:48 +0200

Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov-nsp@charter.net> wrote:
> "Boris" <boris@gtemail.net> writes:
>
>>> [This topic has strayed too far from g++.  Perhaps you should take
>>> it to *advocacy* group.]
>>
>> Which group do you mean?
>
> comp.os.linux.advocacy  - Benefits of Linux compared to other
> operating systems.
>
> You can tell them how you think Linux 'ld' has the wrong behaviour,
> and start a flame war there.

As this is a discussion about the linker I fail to see how redirecting
to an _OS_ advocay group can possibly help the OP - especially as you
seem well aware of the outcome.

>>> You know that you don't want these symbols to be exported, but the
>>> linker can't "read your mind", and doesn't.
>>
>> I tried to explain that the linker can know as it simply needs to
>> check for --whole-archive being present or not.
>
> I perfectly understand what you are trying to say, but you refuse to
> understand what I am trying to explain: while the behaviour you desire
> may appear "obvious and correct" to you, it is by no means "obvious
> and correct" to me, nor to people who wrote 'ld'.

I think you made this perfectly clear. However, having different points
of view is not necessarily a good reason to stop a discussion
immediately.

Andre'