RE: What value interrogated from platform for compiler could cause this?

From: Heinicke, Eric (US SSA)
Subject: RE: What value interrogated from platform for compiler could cause this?
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:47:25 -0400

> Paul Pluzhnikov writes:
> > "Heinicke, Eric \(US SSA\)" <Eric.Heinicke@baesystems.com> writes:
>
> > When compiling on a Pentium III, 700 MHz to obtain a target image
> > of a 386, what parameter interrogated from the platform could cause
> > the following to occur?
>
> I can't grok your question above :(

Sorry, it was not my intention to be obtuse.
I have two systems that are nearly identical, the HDs are cloned.  The only
difference is one system has a Pentium III, 700 MHz that was recently replaced.
 So the silicon is a higher rev. as well as the bios.
The application compiles just fine on the system with the older Pentium, but
displays these errors on the one with the newer.

My thought is that some system parameter, with a different value due to the
newer Pentium, used during compilation is causing this.

> >  {standard input}:161: Error: no such 386 instruction: `je .L1596'
>
> There almost certainly *is* an i386 instruction 'JE'.
Additional errors are:
{standard input}:173: Error: no such 386 instruction: `ja .L1606'

{standard input}:308: Error: no such 386 instruction: `ret'

While I did recognize that these are valid i386, my thoughts were that their
format was invalid for an i386 assembler and valid for i586 or i686.

> What assembler ('as') do you have on your path?

/usr/bin/as
GNU assembler version 2.9.5 (i386-redhat-linux) using BFD version 2.9.5.0.22

> > gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)
>
> This is ancient. Don't you want to upgrade to at least 2.95.3?

Wish I could, this is a legacy system.  We have another; they have to be kept
uniform.  No budget to upgrade and then rerun validation & verification.