Re: Compile with no exceptions

From: Maxim Yegorushkin
Subject: Re: Compile with no exceptions
Date: 13 Sep 2006 13:24:33 -0700

kitschen wrote:

> Is it possible in g++ (3.2) to compile without exception handling? (turn
> off all exceptions)
>
> I would like to estimate the performance gain on my code without
> exception. Is this possible without rewriting the code and taking out
> all try and catch etc?

I heard that entering/exiting try-catch block with gcc cost 0 assembly
instructions (unlike msvc++), as gcc uses tables to derive the
corresponding catch handler from the instruction pointer. So,
-fno-exception inhibits generation of said tables while having little
if any effect on the amount of generated code.

Please correct me where I'm wrong.