Re: DOS.H in GCC for beep functions?

From: Ulrich Eckhardt
Subject: Re: DOS.H in GCC for beep functions?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:08:39 +0200

L-28C wrote:
> I've been using Windows' Beep() API (Kernel32.dll), but it only works
> "properly" on the NT family... (You can't control frequency on 9x.)
> So, is there some way I can do this using GCC? Turbo C++ is too old (8.3
> filenames? Hell no!)... I wouldn't mind using DJGPP. Thanks!

Beep() is part of the win32 API and thus not really a concern for GCC. If
you compile for win32, you will have Beep(), in whatever flavour the OS
supports, and otherwise not - simple as that. GCC does not provide
anything but the C and C++ standardlibs (well, some extensions) in
particular not some utility function to access a speaker (which doesn't
even exist on most systems) or workarounds for deficiencies in the win32
API on (obsolete) Windows OSs.

Lastly, what does that have to do with DOS.H? I'm pretty sure Beep() is
defined via windows.h on win32 system, not DOS.H.

Uli

--
http://gcc.gnu.org/faq.html
http://parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/