makefile

From: Gary Wessle
Subject: makefile
Date: 20 Jul 2006 03:45:09 +1000

Hi
please point to a suitable place if this is not the place for this
post.

I will be doing lost of practice programs in c++ and thought it would
be a good idea if I just copy and past this makefile in each directory
where a given practice project is.

OBJS = hello.o
COMP = g++

#### linker section ####
proj: $(OBJS)
        $(COMP) $(OBJS) -o proj

#### compiler section ####
.SUFFIXES:.o .cpp .h
.h.o:
        $(COMP) -c $<

is this a good idea and is the file above universally correct?
instead of copying it, how can I just have it placed in a parent
directory and use if for all the practice directories?

thanks