Re: backward compatibility of gcc 3.3<- 4.x ?

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: backward compatibility of gcc 3.3<- 4.x ?
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:56:48 -0700

Amit Bhatia<amit.bhatia.nospam@nospam.gmail.com> writes:

>  I am using os X 10.3.9 with xcode 1.5 and gcc 3.3.

I am not familiar with that environment ...

> I believe this version of gcc/g++ is pretty old now

Correct: the latest version of 3.x series is 3.4.6

> and am thinking of updating to gcc 4.0

Current released version is 4.1.1

> Is it expected that all the compiled libraries will continue to
> function and link smoothly if I make this upgrade?

If these packages expose plain-C API, they are likely to continue
to function. OTOH, if they expose C++ API, they are very unlikely
to work at all -- there have been several ABI changes since gcc 3.3

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.