library inclusion problem

From: Pindare
Subject: library inclusion problem
Date: 5 Jul 2006 02:13:25 -0700

Hello,
I wrote quite a few c++ programs a some years ago which I compiled
 successfully with g++ at the time, but now I forgot how to make them
 work, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my setup:
  1. I have a directory called  /home/pindare/mycode/
  2. in it there's my file  prog.cc
  3. there's another directory called  /home/pindare/othercode/
  4. that one contains  mycode.h mycode.cc mycode.o libmycode.a
  5. now I want to compile  prog.cc using libmycode.a
  6. so in a shell I go to /home/pindare/mycode
  7. then I type
 g++ -I../home/pindare/othercode/ -L../home/pindare/othercode/ -o xprog

 prog.cc -lmycode -lm

 8. and I get the following message

 /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmycode
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit statuse

I haven't recompiled the mycode library for years and it did work at
the time, so I'm guessing it's a compiler issue. Now what exactly I
couldn't say, a path variable perhaps, if so how to make it work?

Maybe an important point: all this happens on a local network,
I mean a few years ago I used to compile and run this on a certain
linux PC but now I have another one. I tried to compile on another
bigger linux server and got the same kind of error message.

Regards,
 ---
 PP