Re: File Size Limit Exceeded G++ Linux

From: Robert Heller
Subject: Re: File Size Limit Exceeded G++ Linux
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:14:40 +0200

  "Peter Nolan" <peter@peternolan.com>,
  In a message on 14 Apr 2006 07:10:59 -0700, wrote :

"N> Hi All,
"N> I am running some C++ I wrote having been compiled in G++. When writing
"N> to a file I get 'file size limit exceeded' as a message when the file
"N> size gets to 2,147,483,647.  We are using red hat linux and I compiled
"N> the code in 32 bit mode.

Exactly what version of red hat linux are you using?  Which kernel
version?  Which GLibc version?

"N>
"N> So this looks like a 2GB limit on files. We have tried creating larger
"N> files with other programs and they work ok so I am expecting it is
"N> something to do with how the programs are compiled. I didn't run into a
"N> similar problem on solaris, aix or windows.
"N>
"N> I added
"N> DEFS=-DODBCVER=0x0352 -Dunix -Dlinux -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
"N> -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
"N>
"N> to the compile options but still have this problem.
"N>
"N> I see quite a few posts about this, but have not been able to figure
"N> out how I might avoid this limit.  Anyone have any ideas on what I
"N> should try?
"N>
"N> Thanks
"N>
"N> Peter
"N> www.peternolan.com
"N>
"N>

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller@deepsoft.com       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk