Re: errno bug?

From: Maurizio Loreti
Subject: Re: errno bug?
Date: 06 Oct 2004 11:49:18 +0200

Thomas Maeder <maeder@glue.ch> writes:

> There is no requirement that errno be declared as an int variable by the C++
> implementation. I'm not even sure if defining errno as an int variable is
> conforming. Usually, it's a macro.

For completeness:

1) ISO/IEC 9899-1999 (aka C-99)

  7.5.2:
    [errno] expands to a modifiable lvalue that has type int ... It is
    unspecified whether errno is a macro or an identifier declared with
    external linkage.

  Note 169:
    The macro errno need not be the identifier of an object. It might
    expand to a modifiable lvalue resulting from a function call (for
    example, *errno()).

2) ISO/IEC 14882:1998 (aka C++ '98)

  D.2:
    These are deprecated features, where deprecated is defined as:
    Normative for the current edition of Standard, but not guaranteed
    to be part of the Standard in future revisions.

  D.5.1
    For compatibility with the Standard C library, the C++ Standard
    library provides the 18 C headers, shown in Table 100

  Table 100:
    ... <errno.h> ...

--
Maurizio Loreti                         http://www.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html