help-gnucap

Re: geda/lepton schematics

From: karl
Subject: Re: geda/lepton schematics
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 21:14:30 +0100 (CET)

Felix:
> Thanks for your interest. There are plugins for geda schematics [1], but
> with some problems.

> [1] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnucap/gnucap-plugins.git/log/?h=geda

That repo is a little strange, I get this:

$ git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/gnucap/gnucap-plugins.git
Cloning into 'gnucap-plugins'...
remote: Counting objects: 4666, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (4666/4666), 1.87 MiB | 1.59 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (3020/3020), done.
warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.

$ cd gnucap-plugins/
$ git co geda
Branch 'geda' set up to track remote branch 'geda' from 'origin' by rebasing.
Switched to a new branch 'geda'
$

It seems it consists of a few non-connected branches.

> Connections in gEDA schematics are implicit, and port positions are
> needed to infer them. For this, the symbol database is required. The gEDA
> library has been used to look up the symbols.

Don't you get the connections from the netlist ?

> When I try to configure gnucap-geda, I get
> [..]
> checking for libgeda >= 20100214... no
> configure: error: gEDA package not found

 ./bootstrap works fine here, but
 ./configure gives:
checking dynamic linker characteristics... (cached) GNU/Linux ld.so
./configure: 16616: GC_CPPFLAGS+= -I/usr/local/include/gnucap: not found
./configure: 16618: CPPFLAGS+= : not found
checking l_dispatcher.h usability... no

 so something is strange.
$ ls -l /usr/local/include/gnucap/l_dispatcher.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 karl users 3877 Feb  3 18:29
/usr/local/include/gnucap/l_dispatcher.h

> Unfortunately, installing libgeda-dev does no longer work (for me).

>  libgeda-dev : Depends: guile-2.0-dev but it is not installable
>  libgeda42 : Depends: guile-2.0-libs but it is not installable
>              Depends: libgc1c2 (>= 1:7.2d) but it is not installable

I think something is not good enough with guile-2.0, and that the
libgeda package should be updated for a newer guile version.
Bug your distro about that.

> I don't know what it takes to fix it. Ideally the dependency on libgeda
> should be avoided, as it makes things more complicated than necessary.
> (Any workaround/hack will improve things!).

Wouldn't it be best if geda/lepton supported gnucap instead of the
other way around ?

The guile 1.8 to 2.x step was a bit painful in general.
My guess is that geda with its xorn need some time to evolve out of
the guile dependancy and strange things happens there, at least for me.
So currently I'm mostly working with lepton.
so... my gueass is that geda/lepton changes faster than gnucap, and
that is why they should support gnucap and not the other way around.

> Next steps are more technical, and I am happy to talk about it. Now
> there is a translator "Qucs schematics" <=> "Verilog schematics", and I
> can think of a way to do gEDA schematics properly...

Yes ?

Regards,
/Karl Hammar