grep - Which regular expression matches?

From: Sven Hartrumpf
Subject: grep - Which regular expression matches?
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 15:15:21 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all.

I produce medium-sized sets (50 - 500) of regular expression  that I want
to match over a large (200000 documents with around 10 KB each)
text collection on a hard disk.
For efficiency reasons, I run only one grep command with lots of -e options
over the text collection.
So far, so good.
Besides the information which texts match I want to know _the (first)
regular expression producing the match_.

1. Can I do this with grep?

(O.K. a complicated way would be to get a text match first, and then
try one by one each regular expression on the matching part (using
--only-matching option from recent grep versions) of the text.)

2. Is another tool more useful for this?

(Time efficiency is important.)

Thanks in advance
Sven