Re: How to have a frame dedicated to buffers of a certain kind? (was: us

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: How to have a frame dedicated to buffers of a certain kind? (was: use pdf-tools in Emacs.)
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 09:05:44 +0800

On Sat, Apr 29, 2023 at 5:41 PM Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I tried with the following configuration, but it still creates 3
> > frames, as shown in the attchment:
>
> There are only two frames in the screenshot, what you have numbered are
> emacs windows.  But yes, the 2nd pdf buffer should have been displayed
> in the other frame where a pdf is already displayed.  You might have to
> edebug the function and check M-: (frame-parameter nil 'th/pdf-frame)
> RET in both frames.  Only the one spawned by the first "show this pdf
> buffer" should have this parameter set.
>
> BTW, I wouldn't put the function and display-buffer-alist setting in the
> :config section of (use-package pdf-tools ...) but top-level.  It might
> have been loaded too late.  Maybe try that and restart emacs.
>
> > Which Martin? I checked as follows and there are many:
> >
> > werner@X10DAi:~/Public/repo/git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git$ git
> > log --format='%an <%ae>' | grep -i martin | awk '!a[$0]++'
> > Martin Rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
> > martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
>
> These two Martins. :-)

Nice. OpenAI's GPT-4 gives me the following explanations:

You:
martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>

emacs

Chatbot:
Martin Rudalics is an Emacs developer and contributor. He is known for
his work on Emacs Lisp and his contributions to various Emacs
packages, including Dired, Calendar, and Eshell. He has been involved
in the development of Emacs for over two decades and has contributed
numerous patches and improvements to the codebase. Martin is also a
member of the Emacs development team and has been a key figure in the
Emacs community for many years.

> Bye,
> Tassilo

Best,