Re: use pdf-tools in Emacs.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: use pdf-tools in Emacs.
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2023 10:17:41 +0800

On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 10:00 PM Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> If you always want to spawn a new frame when finding a PDF document, I
> >> guess you have to add a rule to display-buffer-alist.
> >
> > I want to use a new frame to show the PDF document with the LaTeX code
> > in another frame, and at the same time keeping the forward and reverse
> > searching work by skipping between these two frames backward and
> > forward accordingly.
>
> If the pdf is shown in a buffer of another frame makes no difference to
> forward/inverse search as long its the same emacs instance.  This should
> work for you:
>
> (add-to-list 'display-buffer-alist
>              '((derived-mode . pdf-view-mode)
>                display-buffer-pop-up-frame))
>
> It tells emacs to open buffers where pdf-view-mode is the major-mode to
> be opened in a separate frame.

I tried the following configuration:

(use-package pdf-tools
  :ensure t
  :init
  (pdf-tools-install)
  :config
  (add-to-list 'display-buffer-alist
               '((derived-mode . pdf-view-mode)
         display-buffer-pop-up-frame))

  )

See the attached screenshot for the effect. In short, frame 1 will
open frame 2, and 2 will open 3. But I just want to open frames 1 and
2 and automatically switch between them for forward and backward
search.

> Bye,
> Tassilo

Best,