Re: use pdf-tools in Emacs.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: use pdf-tools in Emacs.
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 07:54:19 +0800

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 11:57 PM Ruijie Yu <ruijie@netyu.xyz> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 11:03 PM Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > It seems that this is not true. In my testing, I've already set the
> > following option for straight, which ensures that every package
> > specified with `straight-use-package` is automatically installed
> > (ensured) during Emacs startup:
> >
> > (setq straight-use-package-by-default t) ; straight's equivalent of
> > `use-package-always-ensure'.
> >
> > But the problem discussed here still exists.
> >
> >> Bye,
> >> Tassilo
> >
> > Best,
> > Zhao
>
> Try adding `:demand t' in the `use-package' form.  It ensures that the
> package is loaded right away (installing it if necessary), instead of
> defering it later.

Here, `:ensure t` should be used, as explained below:

The line `:demand t` is an option that can be passed to the
"use-package" macro to ensure that the package is loaded immediately,
rather than being loaded lazily. This is useful when you want to make
sure a package is loaded before using any of its features.

The line `:ensure t` is another option that tells "use-package" to
install the package if it is not already installed. This is useful
when you want to automatically download and install packages from a
package repository like MELPA or ELPA.

> If that doesn't work, also try to move the install part from `:config'
> to `:init'.  I used to have something about pdf-tools in my config, but
> that has long gone.

This change is also necessary. Thank you for pointing this out.

> --
> Best,
>

> RY

Zhao