Re: use pdf-tools in Emacs.

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: use pdf-tools in Emacs.
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 20:30:02 +0200

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

>> > Indeed this does notinstall anything. use-package is about loading,
>> > not installing.  Use package.el or straight.el (or any other package
>> > manager) for installing.
>>
>> Well, you can add a :ensure t clause to the use-package recipe and it
>> will tell package.el to install the package.
>
> It seems that this is not true.

I can assure you that I have

(use-package pdf-tools
  :ensure t
  :init
  (pdf-tools-install))

in my user-init-file, and that with this and just this, PDFs are opened
automatically using its `pdf-view-mode' (instead of `doc-view-mode').

When I do `M-x package-delete RET pdf-tools RET' and restart emacs, it
will automatically install it again which is the task of :ensure, see
(info "(use-package) Install package").  After installing the package
automatically, I'm also asked

  Need to (re)build the epdfinfo program, do it now ? (y or n) y

which is then built and the output shown in a *compilation* buffer.

Bye,
Tassilo