Re: use pdf-tools in Emacs.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: use pdf-tools in Emacs.
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 23:27:24 +0800

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 11:03 PM Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> stefan-husmann@t-online.de writes:
>
> >> In fact, I already have the following configuration in my init.el
> >> file, but it doesn't seem to automatically compile and install
> >> pdf-tools:
> >>
> >> (use-package pdf-tools
> >>   ;;https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package#magic-handlers
> >>   :magic ("%PDF" . pdf-view-mode)
> >>   :config
> >>   (pdf-tools-install :no-query)
> >>   ;; C-h o pdf-loader-install RET
> >>   ;; This function acts as a replacement for ‘pdf-tools-install’ and
> >>   ;; makes Emacs load and use PDF Tools as soon as a PDF file is
> >>   ;; opened, but not sooner.
> >>   ;;(pdf-loader-install)
> >>   )
> >>

> > Indeed this does notinstall anything. use-package is about loading,
> > not installing.  Use package.el or straight.el (or any other package
> > manager) for installing.
>
> Well, you can add a :ensure t clause to the use-package recipe and it
> will tell package.el to install the package.

It seems that this is not true. In my testing, I've already set the
following option for straight, which ensures that every package
specified with `straight-use-package` is automatically installed
(ensured) during Emacs startup:

(setq straight-use-package-by-default t) ; straight's equivalent of
`use-package-always-ensure'.

But the problem discussed here still exists.

> Bye,
> Tassilo

Best,
Zhao